Members Forum Area

2019 AGM Meeting Minutes

 

Unicorn Catamaran Annual General Meeting held on Thursday 8th August 2019 1700 hrs at the Stone Sailing Club. Prepared by Dan Jarman

In attendance:

Gary Piper, Julius Mach, Steve Pooley, Owen Cox, David Taylor, Will Stefanou, Richard Beke, Dan Jarman.

Apologies - Peter Toft.

2018 AGM Minutes – reviewed and accepted as a true record.

1. Chairman's report - Gary was pleased with the amount of activity happening within the class at the moment, particularly with open meetings being attended. Gary has recently acquired Peter Toft's boat and hopes to get it back into circulation soon. Gary also mentioned that there have been requests for building plans by a couple of people which have been sent out to them.

2. Secretary's report - Dan is happy to continue with race reports for the Unicorn Website, Facebook, and Yachts and Yachting magazine.

3. Treasurer's report - Julius presented the accounts report and list of membership. These were discussed and it was felt that there are sufficient funds within the association at present with no need to increase membership fees. There are currently 15 fully paid up members, an increase of five in the last 12 months.

David Taylor mentioned that he needs reimbursement for the Nationals trophies that he has provided in recent years. Gary said he will arrange for payments will be authorized. when the Treasurer confirms the actual amounts due

In view of current funds it was agreed a £5.00 cash discount was given to each entry for this year's Nationals, which was duly distributed by Julius.

4. Election of Officers - All agreed that they are happy with their current positions, therefore no need for elections to be carried out.

·         Chairman: Gary Piper (GP)

·         Class Measurer: William Dawson (WD )

·         Build and Technical Advisor William Dawson( WD )

·         Website Co-ordinator:  Peter Toft (PT)

·         Treasurer: and Events Co-ordinator  Zbigniew Julius Mach (JM)

·         Secretary Dan Jarman (DJ)5

 

5. Travellers series

2018 Results -  Congratulations  to Gary Piper on winning the new Travellers Trophy, which was presented at the meeting.

Series 2019 – Results will be published at the end of the Season

Series 2020 - Will be the same format as this year where any official Cat Open will qualify, and will also include Stone Week as some Unicorn sailors will attend this event anyway, as it is such a great week. Steve Pooley also mentioned the Sail Juice Event held at Bala in June which could be another viable open meeting.

6. Nationals 2020 -Although we agree Stone Week is a great race week, it was suggested that we should have a change in Nationals venue in order to try and create interest in other areas.

Three venues were suggested - Bala May Bank holiday open, Poole Week, Stokes Bay open.

After a discussion it was agreed that Stokes Bay should be the venue on the proviso it will be over 3 days with another class such as the Tornado. Gary said he will approach Stokes Bay.

 

7. Website - Peter Toft, although not actively sailing a Unicorn at the moment, had previously discussed with Dan that he is happy to keep the Website running. Although quite quirky to update at times Peter is happy for other Website users to have access to update etc. It is important that active paid up members are registered to access the members section of the web site. Any difficulties contact Peter Toft

It was noticed on the Website History section that the article about the 1973 European Championship was missing. A request for this article to be reinstated has been put forward. Bob Dorks will search his historic records and pass them to Peter for publication.

8. Any other Business

Acquisition of spare parts - The association now has a reasonable amount of spare parts available, including masts, beams, tracks, trampolines etc - Julius also recently acquired several Unicorn parts from a seller in Yorkshire via the association. It was agreed that the association offer the vendor £225.00 for the parts and then sell them on as required to Unicorn owners to maintain Class activity.

.Meeting Closed 1800 hrs

Download 2019 Accounts PDF

Download 2019 Membership payments PDF

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2018 AGM Meeting Minutes

2018 National Unicorn Class Association AGM Minutes

 

Held at Stone Sailing Club, Wednesday 1st August 2018, 1600 hrs. prepared by Peter Toft.

Present:  Peter Toft (PT), Gary Piper (GP), Julius Mach (JM), Richard Beke (RB), William Dawson ( WD ), Dan Jarman (DJ ),Bob Dorks (BD)

Apologies for Absence:   David Taylor (DT),

2017 AGM Minutes – reviewed and accepted as a true record.

Election of Committee Members 2018/2019

·         Chairman: Gary Piper (GP)

·         Class Measurer: Bob Dorks (BD) & Peter Toft (PT)

·         Build and Technical Advisor William Dawson( WD )

·         Website Co-ordinator:  Peter Toft (PT)

·         Treasurer:and Events Co-ordinator  Zbigniew Julius Mach (JM)

·         Secretary Dan Jarman (DJ)

Changes

·         Secretary position reinstated to assist the Treasurer and web site input.

Web Site Update

·         The site had continued to have a surprising number of ‘hits’ over 1000 annually. The five top articles are :

Unicorn Plans - hits 94004

History of the Unicorn - hits 9329

Pictures Gallery - hits 9313

Restoration K756 – hits 8121

Hall of Fame – hits 6942

This indicates that over 1000 people are reviewing the most important articles on the web site, which is excellent marketing.

Based on this information it was agreed to continue maintaining the web site until a new easier to use and maintain site is developed.

Face Book Unicorn Association Forum

·         The current Forum is operating well and Tanya Piper has regularly downloaded sailing action photographs.

·         This is to be continued until the new web site is developed and tested.

Treasurers Report

·          JM has successfully completed the transfer of Association Bank accounts and is now receiving statements etc. on a regular basis.

·         Statement of funds from last Bank report 31st July 2017  shows a positive balance of £2149.54 but this is to be confirmed by an audit of accounts over the last 3 years. JM is working with DT to confirm funds spent over the last 3 years.

·         JM advised that £1000 should be frozen in the account until the audit is completed in 2020.

·         Number of full paid up members in 2018 is 11 an increase of 3 from last year.

·         Annual membership form has been revised to reflect the latest changes . of secretary and bank details and is available for downloading from the official web site

·         It was agreed that the annual fees would remain at £15 in the foreseeable future.

·         The annual renewal time is confirmed as April 1st.each year and fees MUST be paid before entering any official event in the current year

·         With the use of electronic payment of membership fees receipt of payment is shown on each persons bank statements. People paying by cheque or cash receive an E Mail from JM

Build & Technical Advisor William Dawson

·         It was agreed that the new plans,  would be sent to any interested person FOC, but when a boat is built and registration is made this will involve a fee of £50 to cover any administration cost etc.

·         Two sets of the new plans were issued during the last 12 months but to date no new builds have been completed

·         The official RYA hull measuring gauges have been transferred from PT to WD during this year’s Nationals. WD is now the Official Class measurer and will receive guidance from GP.

·         The foam sandwich hull mould from 1987 developed by Condor is currently held by Paul Conway. The Committee agreed that the cost of renovating the moulds would be more expensive than producing new moulds to the latest GP shape, therefore the obsolete moulds should be scrapped. PC has been verbally advised by PT

Events Coordinator  Julius Mach

·         SP could not complete the organisation of the TT event in 2018 due to a major change in his personal circumstances, The new Events Coordinator JM organised a TT programme in 2018 which is operating well..

·         2019 Nationals. It was agreed to request Stone SC to once again hold this event in conjunction with the Stone Week Regatta. PT to formally approach Stone SC for confirmation that this is feasible.

Any other business

·         handicap for the class – the SCHRS 1.175 and the Lookalike PY number is currently 797.  GP to review the basic formula for the Unicorn to ensure the Class has the correct handicap for 2017/18.

·         To develop the Unicorn Class it is important to have established approved components and Suppliers to meet current Class rules –

·          Hulls or kits of parts built to latest drawings

·         Masts and beams

·         Sails.and battens

·         GP is working with current and new Suppliers to develop a list for approval by the Committee during 2018/19

·         Unicorn Insurance GP to circulate  information to assist new members inobtaining a competitive quotation.

 

There being no further business, the meeting was closed.

 

2016 AGM Minutes at Stone SC

2016 National Unicorn Class Association AGM Minutes

 

Held at Stone Sailing Club, Tuesday 4th August 2016, 1600 hrs. prepared by Peter Toft.

Present:  P Toft (PT), R Dorks (RD), G Piper (GP), J Mach (JM), D Taylor (DT), S Pooley (SP), Owen Cox (OC ), Iain Rogers (IR ), Arthur Brooks (AB )

Apologies for Absence:   Matthew Stevenson, Scott Greengrass

 

2015 AGM Minutes – reviewed and accepted as a true record.

 

Election of Committee Members 2016/2017

·         Chairman: Gary Piper (GP)

·         Class Measurer: Bob Dorks (BD) & Peter Toft (PT)

·         Build and Technical Advisor Scott Greengrass (SG)

·         Website Co-ordinator:  Peter Toft (PT)

·         Treasurer / Secretary:  Zbigniew Julius Mach (JM)

·         Secretary  Owen Cox (OC)

·         Events Co-ordinator:   Matthew Stevenson ( MS)

 

Changes

·         Secretary position reinstated to assist the Treasurer.

 

Web Site Update

·         The site had continued to have a surprising number of ‘hits’ over 6000 since its launch or 1000 annually. The five top articles are :

Unicorn Plans - hits 7935

History of the Unicorn - hits 6579

Pictures Gallery - hits 4041

Unicorn Specification – hits 4879

Restoration K756 – hits 5017

Based on this information it was agreed to continue maintaining the web site for the foreseeable future.

·         PT again mentioned that he would like more material and photographs to put onto the site as it is viewed by many interested sailors around the world.

·         Owen Cox (OC the new secretary) agreed to setup and co-ordinate a central Cloud  web site, to file, all appropriate photographs on an annual basis . These can then be accessed and available for use on the Official web site.

·         Members are still NOT logging onto the web site and therefore cannot access the members only section. PT agreed to maintain this section for historical purposes and would circulate paid up members any new material filed in this section.

 

 Face Book Unicorn Association Forum

·         The current Forum status is Closed and restricted to authorised group members only. It was agreed to change the status to Public. This action was completed during the meeting.

·         OC to co-ordinate the type and content of articles published.

 

Treasurers Report

·         The transfer of Treasurer from DT to JM requires  the official signatures for the account to be revised. JM liaising with DT to complete ASAP.

·         The meeting agreed the following:-

o   That Zbigniew Julius Mach be elected Honorary Treasurer

o   That David  Taylor and Robert Dorks be deleted as signatories to the Association’s bank account.

o   That Gary Piper remains a signatory to the bank account

o   That any one signatory will be sufficient to sign cheques and give instructions to the bank.

o   That the treasurer may apply for and activate an internet banking facility

o   That the official address of the organisation shall be the current elected Treasurer’s

·         Statement of funds from last Bank report January 2016  shows a positive balance of £1988.89 but this is to be confirmed by an audit of accounts over the last 3 years. JM and DT to conduct.

·         Number of paid up members in 2015 was 14. JM to review and update

·         Annual membership form to be revised to reflect the above changes. JM to complete before the 2017 renewal date for membership.

·         It was agreed that the annual fees would remain at £15 but for those attending the Nationals and completing at least one race, a £10 refund would be made.

·         To reduce administration there was a discussion to revise the annual renewal time from April 1st to August 1st. No final decision made but JM  to review and advise the Committee for a final decision before end 2016.

·         Complaints continue to be received that no receipt for membership payment is issued. JM to ensure this is corrected within a month of receiving payment for full membership only.

 

Build & Technical Advisor

·         SG has prepared new drawings which will update the current Mazzotti drawings. These will be proven by the building of another boat during 2016 before officially releasing them.

·         Over the next year it is planned to develop a video on how to build a wood boat from scratch. SG

·         Discussion took place regarding the availability of build plans to any interested people. This will encourage new builds and hopefully revive the Unicorn as a self build boat.. As the new plans will be in PDF format the cost is zero to the Association. Previous plans were issued as paper drawings at a cost and involved packaging and postage. It was agreed that the new plans, when available, would be sent to any interested person FOC, but when a boat is built and registration is made this will involve a fee to be decided, but it must cover any administration cost etc. TBD by majority vote of Committee members GP at the 2017 AGM – GP / JM

 

 

 

Events Coordinator - Mattthew Stephenson (‘MS’)

·         In2016 no official Travellers Trophy event was organised. This is very disappointing but it is understood that he will attempt to organise another TT programme in 2017. MS to organise.

·         2017 Nationals. It was agreed to hold these at Stone SC during first week of August in conjunction with Stone week. PT to confirm

Any other business

·         handicap for the class – the PY number is currently 790 the SCHRS 1.171.  GP to review the basic formula for the Unicorn to ensure the Class has the correct handicap for 2017.

·         To develop the Unicorn Class it is important to have established approved components and Suppliers to meet current Class rules –

o    Hulls or kits of parts built to latest drawings

o   Masts and beams

o   Sails.

o   Sail Battens

 

Gp to work with current Suppliers to develop a list for approval by the Committee during 2016/17

 

·         It is sad to report the recent death of Bob Higgins a long term Unicorn sailor and builder of boats.

.

 

There being no further business, the meeting was closed.

2017 AGM at Stone SC

2017 National Unicorn Class Association AGM Minutes

 

Held at Stone Sailing Club, Thursday 3rd August 2017, 1100 hrs. prepared by Peter Toft.

Present:  Peter Toft (PT), Gary Piper (GP), Julius Mach (JM), Steve Pooley (SP), William Dawson ( WD ), Dan Jarman (DJ ),

Apologies for Absence:   David Taylor (DT),

2016 AGM Minutes – reviewed and accepted as a true record.

 

Election of Committee Members 2017/2018

·         Chairman: Gary Piper (GP)

·         Class Measurer: Bob Dorks (BD) & Peter Toft (PT)

·         Build and Technical Advisor William Dawson( WD )

·         Website Co-ordinator:  Peter Toft (PT)

·         Treasurer:  Zbigniew Julius Mach (JM)

·         Secretary / Events Co-ordinator:   Steve Pooley (SP )

 

Changes

·         Secretary position reinstated to assist the Treasurer.

 

Web Site Update

·         The site had continued to have a surprising number of ‘hits’ over 8000 since its launch or 1000 annually. The five top articles are :

Unicorn Plans - hits 8723

History of the Unicorn - hits 8004

Pictures Gallery - hits 7657

Restoration K756 – hits 6777

Hall of Fame – hits 5849

Based on this information it was agreed to continue maintaining the web site until a new easier to use and maintain site is developed.

·         Steve Pooley SP the new secretary) agreed to setup a new Web site and investigate the best place to store historical and new photographs and videos ,

 

Face Book Unicorn Association Forum

·         The current Forum is operating well and Tanya Piper has regularly downloaded sailing action photographs.

·         This is to be continued until the new web site is developed and tested.

·          

Treasurers Report

·          JM has successfully completed the transfer of Association Bank accounts and is now receiving statements etc. on a regular basis.

·         Statement of funds from last Bank report January 2016  shows a positive balance of £2149.54 but this is to be confirmed by an audit of accounts over the last 3 years. JM is working with DT to confirm funds spent over the last 3 years.

·         JM advised that £1000 should be frozen in the account until the audit is completed.

·         Number of full paid up members in 2017 is 8

·         Annual membership form has been revised to reflect the latest changes . of secretary and bank details

·         It was agreed that the annual fees would remain at £15 but for those paid up members attending the Nationals and completing at least one race, a £5 refund would be made.

·         The annual renewal time is confirmed as April 1st.each year and fees MUST be paid before entering any official event in the current year

·         Complaints continue to be received that no receipt for membership payment is issued. JM to ensure this is corrected but requests that members use electronic bank transfer and complete the annual membership form at the time of payment to reduce the administration time.

 

Build & Technical Advisor William Dawson

·         Scott Greengrass (SG) has prepared new drawings to the latest Piper development shape within the original Class rules. These have been reviewed by the Committee and are now the official Class drawings to be issued..

 

·         It was agreed that the new plans,  would be sent to any interested person FOC, but when a boat is built and registration is made this will involve a fee of £50 to cover any administration cost etc.

Events Coordinator  Steve Pooley

·         In2016/17  no official Travellers Trophy events occurred.. This is very disappointing,The new Events Coordinator SP will attempt to organise another TT programme in 2017.

·         2017 Nationals. It was agreed to review alternative venues for 2018, like Bala or Stokes Bay, but if these prove too expensive it could be held at Stone in conjunction with Stone week. SP to confirm venue by end of 2017 to ensure the Stone option is still available

Any other business

·         handicap for the class – the SCHRS 1.175 and the Lookalike PY number is currently 797.  GP to review the basic formula for the Unicorn to ensure the Class has the correct handicap for 2017/18.

·         To develop the Unicorn Class it is important to have established approved components and Suppliers to meet current Class rules –

o    Hulls or kits of parts built to latest drawings

o   Masts and beams

o   Sails.and battens

GP has worked with current and new Suppliers to develop a list for approval by the Committee during 2018

·         Life time membership of the Unicorn association for time and work to keep the Class active and competitive is awarded to Robert Dorks and Scott Greengrass.

.

 

There being no further business, the meeting was closed.

2015 Unicorn Association AGM

National Unicorn Class Association-

Minutes of 2015 AGM prepared by P Toft

Held at Stone Sailing Club, Tuesday 4th August, 1100 hrs

Present:  P Toft (PT), R Dorks (RD), G Piper (GP), J Mach (JM), D Taylor (DT), S Pooley (SP), Owen Cox (OC )

Apologies for Absence:  David Taylor, Matthew Stevenson, Iain Rogers

 

2014 AGM Minutes Reviewed

1.Official Association web site: revised to allow members to compile and insert articles, completed October 2014

2.Scan and publish historical articles ongoing

3. Open forum agreed to use Facebook due to security issues

4.Annual membership registration form still not being used and receipt of membership fees not being carried out.

.

Election of Committee Members 2015/2016

•Chairman: Gary Piper GP

•Class Measurer: Bob Dorks BD & Peter Toft PT

•Build and Technical Advisor Scott Greengrass SG

•Website Co-ordinator:  Peter Toft PT

•Treasurer / Secretary:  Julius Mach JM

•Events Co-ordinator:   Matthew Stevenson MS

 

Changes

•Scott Greengrass was appointed to the new position of Build and Technical Advisor.

•Due to work commitments David Taylor resigned his position as Treasurer. The Committee convey their thanks to him for holding this position for the last 3 years and maintaining the Association funds in a positive way. Julius Mach JM accepted the position of Treasurer.

 

Web Site Update

•The site had continued to have a surprising number of ‘hits’ over 6000 since its launch or 1000 annually. The five top articles are :

Unicorn Plans - hits 6690

History of the Unicorn - hits 5064

Pictures Gallery - hits 4367

Unicorn Specification – hits 3884

Around the World – hits 3735

•PT again mentioned (as he had done for the last two years!) that he would like more material and photographs to put onto the site as it is viewed by many interested sailors around the world. Where as the Face book OPEN Forum is restricted to members of the group only

•Members are NOT logging onto the web site and therefore cannot access the members only section. It was agreed to contact all 2015 paid members to ensure they register and know how to access the site. PT

Treasurers Report

•Statement of funds from last Bank report shows a positive balance of £985

•Number of paid up members in 2015 is 14.

•It was agreed that the annual fees would remain at £15 but for those attending the Nationals and completing at least one race, a £10 refund would be made.

•To reduce administration there was a discussion to revise the annual renewal time from April 1st to August 1st. No final decision made but JM  to review and advise the Committee for a final decision before end 2015.

•Complaints continue to be received that no receipt for membership payment is issued. JM to ensure this is corrected within a month of receiving payment for full membership only.

•The transfer of Treasurer from DT to JM requires  the official signatures for the account to be revised. JM liaising with DT to complete ASAP..

 

Build & Technical Advisor

Scott Greengrass SG was elected to this new committee position

•Scott is a new member who has completed his first build based on Gary Piper’s successful unique development of hull shape within the existing rules

•From this experience and his access to computer hardware he has prepared new drawings which will update the current Mazzotti drawings. Many thanks to him for completing a long over due task.

•Over the next year it is planned to develop a video on how to build a wood boat from scratch. SG

•Discussion took place regarding the availability of build plans to any interested people. This will encourage new builds and hopefully revive the Unicorn as a self build boat.. As the new plans will be in PDF format the cost is zero to the association. Previous plans were issued as paper drawings at a cost and involved packaging and postage. It was agreed that the new plans, when available, would be sent to any interested person FOC, but when a boat is built and registration is made this will involve a fee to be decided, but it must cover any administration cost etc. TBD by majority vote of Committee members GP

Events Coordinator - Mattthew Stephenson (‘MS’) 

•In 2015 a Travellers Trophy was organised for four events but due to health problems Matthew was unable to attend and in the end Rutland was the only event to date attended by any Unicorns. This is very disappointing but it is understood that he will attempt to organise another TT programme and a Nationals event in 2016. MS to organise.•

Any other business

•There has been another recent change to the handicap for the class – the PY number is now 790 the SCHRS 1.171 •

There being no further business, the meeting was closed.

 

More Articles...

  1. 2014 AGM Minutes

Page 1 of 2

General Items
Text Size