Members Forum Area

2015 Unicorn Association AGM

National Unicorn Class Association-

Minutes of 2015 AGM prepared by P Toft

Held at Stone Sailing Club, Tuesday 4th August, 1100 hrs

Present:  P Toft (PT), R Dorks (RD), G Piper (GP), J Mach (JM), D Taylor (DT), S Pooley (SP), Owen Cox (OC )

Apologies for Absence:  David Taylor, Matthew Stevenson, Iain Rogers

 

2014 AGM Minutes Reviewed

1.Official Association web site: revised to allow members to compile and insert articles, completed October 2014

2.Scan and publish historical articles ongoing

3. Open forum agreed to use Facebook due to security issues

4.Annual membership registration form still not being used and receipt of membership fees not being carried out.

.

Election of Committee Members 2015/2016

•Chairman: Gary Piper GP

•Class Measurer: Bob Dorks BD & Peter Toft PT

•Build and Technical Advisor Scott Greengrass SG

•Website Co-ordinator:  Peter Toft PT

•Treasurer / Secretary:  Julius Mach JM

•Events Co-ordinator:   Matthew Stevenson MS

 

Changes

•Scott Greengrass was appointed to the new position of Build and Technical Advisor.

•Due to work commitments David Taylor resigned his position as Treasurer. The Committee convey their thanks to him for holding this position for the last 3 years and maintaining the Association funds in a positive way. Julius Mach JM accepted the position of Treasurer.

 

Web Site Update

•The site had continued to have a surprising number of ‘hits’ over 6000 since its launch or 1000 annually. The five top articles are :

Unicorn Plans - hits 6690

History of the Unicorn - hits 5064

Pictures Gallery - hits 4367

Unicorn Specification – hits 3884

Around the World – hits 3735

•PT again mentioned (as he had done for the last two years!) that he would like more material and photographs to put onto the site as it is viewed by many interested sailors around the world. Where as the Face book OPEN Forum is restricted to members of the group only

•Members are NOT logging onto the web site and therefore cannot access the members only section. It was agreed to contact all 2015 paid members to ensure they register and know how to access the site. PT

Treasurers Report

•Statement of funds from last Bank report shows a positive balance of £985

•Number of paid up members in 2015 is 14.

•It was agreed that the annual fees would remain at £15 but for those attending the Nationals and completing at least one race, a £10 refund would be made.

•To reduce administration there was a discussion to revise the annual renewal time from April 1st to August 1st. No final decision made but JM  to review and advise the Committee for a final decision before end 2015.

•Complaints continue to be received that no receipt for membership payment is issued. JM to ensure this is corrected within a month of receiving payment for full membership only.

•The transfer of Treasurer from DT to JM requires  the official signatures for the account to be revised. JM liaising with DT to complete ASAP..

 

Build & Technical Advisor

Scott Greengrass SG was elected to this new committee position

•Scott is a new member who has completed his first build based on Gary Piper’s successful unique development of hull shape within the existing rules

•From this experience and his access to computer hardware he has prepared new drawings which will update the current Mazzotti drawings. Many thanks to him for completing a long over due task.

•Over the next year it is planned to develop a video on how to build a wood boat from scratch. SG

•Discussion took place regarding the availability of build plans to any interested people. This will encourage new builds and hopefully revive the Unicorn as a self build boat.. As the new plans will be in PDF format the cost is zero to the association. Previous plans were issued as paper drawings at a cost and involved packaging and postage. It was agreed that the new plans, when available, would be sent to any interested person FOC, but when a boat is built and registration is made this will involve a fee to be decided, but it must cover any administration cost etc. TBD by majority vote of Committee members GP

Events Coordinator - Mattthew Stephenson (‘MS’) 

•In 2015 a Travellers Trophy was organised for four events but due to health problems Matthew was unable to attend and in the end Rutland was the only event to date attended by any Unicorns. This is very disappointing but it is understood that he will attempt to organise another TT programme and a Nationals event in 2016. MS to organise.•

Any other business

•There has been another recent change to the handicap for the class – the PY number is now 790 the SCHRS 1.171 •

There being no further business, the meeting was closed.

 

General Items
Text Size