Members Forum Area

2017 AGM at Stone SC

2017 National Unicorn Class Association AGM Minutes

 

Held at Stone Sailing Club, Thursday 3rd August 2017, 1100 hrs. prepared by Peter Toft.

Present:  Peter Toft (PT), Gary Piper (GP), Julius Mach (JM), Steve Pooley (SP), William Dawson ( WD ), Dan Jarman (DJ ),

Apologies for Absence:   David Taylor (DT),

2016 AGM Minutes – reviewed and accepted as a true record.

 

Election of Committee Members 2017/2018

·         Chairman: Gary Piper (GP)

·         Class Measurer: Bob Dorks (BD) & Peter Toft (PT)

·         Build and Technical Advisor William Dawson( WD )

·         Website Co-ordinator:  Peter Toft (PT)

·         Treasurer:  Zbigniew Julius Mach (JM)

·         Secretary / Events Co-ordinator:   Steve Pooley (SP )

 

Changes

·         Secretary position reinstated to assist the Treasurer.

 

Web Site Update

·         The site had continued to have a surprising number of ‘hits’ over 8000 since its launch or 1000 annually. The five top articles are :

Unicorn Plans - hits 8723

History of the Unicorn - hits 8004

Pictures Gallery - hits 7657

Restoration K756 – hits 6777

Hall of Fame – hits 5849

Based on this information it was agreed to continue maintaining the web site until a new easier to use and maintain site is developed.

·         Steve Pooley SP the new secretary) agreed to setup a new Web site and investigate the best place to store historical and new photographs and videos ,

 

Face Book Unicorn Association Forum

·         The current Forum is operating well and Tanya Piper has regularly downloaded sailing action photographs.

·         This is to be continued until the new web site is developed and tested.

·          

Treasurers Report

·          JM has successfully completed the transfer of Association Bank accounts and is now receiving statements etc. on a regular basis.

·         Statement of funds from last Bank report January 2016  shows a positive balance of £2149.54 but this is to be confirmed by an audit of accounts over the last 3 years. JM is working with DT to confirm funds spent over the last 3 years.

·         JM advised that £1000 should be frozen in the account until the audit is completed.

·         Number of full paid up members in 2017 is 8

·         Annual membership form has been revised to reflect the latest changes . of secretary and bank details

·         It was agreed that the annual fees would remain at £15 but for those paid up members attending the Nationals and completing at least one race, a £5 refund would be made.

·         The annual renewal time is confirmed as April 1st.each year and fees MUST be paid before entering any official event in the current year

·         Complaints continue to be received that no receipt for membership payment is issued. JM to ensure this is corrected but requests that members use electronic bank transfer and complete the annual membership form at the time of payment to reduce the administration time.

 

Build & Technical Advisor William Dawson

·         Scott Greengrass (SG) has prepared new drawings to the latest Piper development shape within the original Class rules. These have been reviewed by the Committee and are now the official Class drawings to be issued..

 

·         It was agreed that the new plans,  would be sent to any interested person FOC, but when a boat is built and registration is made this will involve a fee of £50 to cover any administration cost etc.

Events Coordinator  Steve Pooley

·         In2016/17  no official Travellers Trophy events occurred.. This is very disappointing,The new Events Coordinator SP will attempt to organise another TT programme in 2017.

·         2017 Nationals. It was agreed to review alternative venues for 2018, like Bala or Stokes Bay, but if these prove too expensive it could be held at Stone in conjunction with Stone week. SP to confirm venue by end of 2017 to ensure the Stone option is still available

Any other business

·         handicap for the class – the SCHRS 1.175 and the Lookalike PY number is currently 797.  GP to review the basic formula for the Unicorn to ensure the Class has the correct handicap for 2017/18.

·         To develop the Unicorn Class it is important to have established approved components and Suppliers to meet current Class rules –

o    Hulls or kits of parts built to latest drawings

o   Masts and beams

o   Sails.and battens

GP has worked with current and new Suppliers to develop a list for approval by the Committee during 2018

·         Life time membership of the Unicorn association for time and work to keep the Class active and competitive is awarded to Robert Dorks and Scott Greengrass.

.

 

There being no further business, the meeting was closed.

2016 AGM Minutes at Stone SC

2016 National Unicorn Class Association AGM Minutes

 

Held at Stone Sailing Club, Tuesday 4th August 2016, 1600 hrs. prepared by Peter Toft.

Present:  P Toft (PT), R Dorks (RD), G Piper (GP), J Mach (JM), D Taylor (DT), S Pooley (SP), Owen Cox (OC ), Iain Rogers (IR ), Arthur Brooks (AB )

Apologies for Absence:   Matthew Stevenson, Scott Greengrass

 

2015 AGM Minutes – reviewed and accepted as a true record.

 

Election of Committee Members 2016/2017

·         Chairman: Gary Piper (GP)

·         Class Measurer: Bob Dorks (BD) & Peter Toft (PT)

·         Build and Technical Advisor Scott Greengrass (SG)

·         Website Co-ordinator:  Peter Toft (PT)

·         Treasurer / Secretary:  Zbigniew Julius Mach (JM)

·         Secretary  Owen Cox (OC)

·         Events Co-ordinator:   Matthew Stevenson ( MS)

 

Changes

·         Secretary position reinstated to assist the Treasurer.

 

Web Site Update

·         The site had continued to have a surprising number of ‘hits’ over 6000 since its launch or 1000 annually. The five top articles are :

Unicorn Plans - hits 7935

History of the Unicorn - hits 6579

Pictures Gallery - hits 4041

Unicorn Specification – hits 4879

Restoration K756 – hits 5017

Based on this information it was agreed to continue maintaining the web site for the foreseeable future.

·         PT again mentioned that he would like more material and photographs to put onto the site as it is viewed by many interested sailors around the world.

·         Owen Cox (OC the new secretary) agreed to setup and co-ordinate a central Cloud  web site, to file, all appropriate photographs on an annual basis . These can then be accessed and available for use on the Official web site.

·         Members are still NOT logging onto the web site and therefore cannot access the members only section. PT agreed to maintain this section for historical purposes and would circulate paid up members any new material filed in this section.

 

 Face Book Unicorn Association Forum

·         The current Forum status is Closed and restricted to authorised group members only. It was agreed to change the status to Public. This action was completed during the meeting.

·         OC to co-ordinate the type and content of articles published.

 

Treasurers Report

·         The transfer of Treasurer from DT to JM requires  the official signatures for the account to be revised. JM liaising with DT to complete ASAP.

·         The meeting agreed the following:-

o   That Zbigniew Julius Mach be elected Honorary Treasurer

o   That David  Taylor and Robert Dorks be deleted as signatories to the Association’s bank account.

o   That Gary Piper remains a signatory to the bank account

o   That any one signatory will be sufficient to sign cheques and give instructions to the bank.

o   That the treasurer may apply for and activate an internet banking facility

o   That the official address of the organisation shall be the current elected Treasurer’s

·         Statement of funds from last Bank report January 2016  shows a positive balance of £1988.89 but this is to be confirmed by an audit of accounts over the last 3 years. JM and DT to conduct.

·         Number of paid up members in 2015 was 14. JM to review and update

·         Annual membership form to be revised to reflect the above changes. JM to complete before the 2017 renewal date for membership.

·         It was agreed that the annual fees would remain at £15 but for those attending the Nationals and completing at least one race, a £10 refund would be made.

·         To reduce administration there was a discussion to revise the annual renewal time from April 1st to August 1st. No final decision made but JM  to review and advise the Committee for a final decision before end 2016.

·         Complaints continue to be received that no receipt for membership payment is issued. JM to ensure this is corrected within a month of receiving payment for full membership only.

 

Build & Technical Advisor

·         SG has prepared new drawings which will update the current Mazzotti drawings. These will be proven by the building of another boat during 2016 before officially releasing them.

·         Over the next year it is planned to develop a video on how to build a wood boat from scratch. SG

·         Discussion took place regarding the availability of build plans to any interested people. This will encourage new builds and hopefully revive the Unicorn as a self build boat.. As the new plans will be in PDF format the cost is zero to the Association. Previous plans were issued as paper drawings at a cost and involved packaging and postage. It was agreed that the new plans, when available, would be sent to any interested person FOC, but when a boat is built and registration is made this will involve a fee to be decided, but it must cover any administration cost etc. TBD by majority vote of Committee members GP at the 2017 AGM – GP / JM

 

 

 

Events Coordinator - Mattthew Stephenson (‘MS’)

·         In2016 no official Travellers Trophy event was organised. This is very disappointing but it is understood that he will attempt to organise another TT programme in 2017. MS to organise.

·         2017 Nationals. It was agreed to hold these at Stone SC during first week of August in conjunction with Stone week. PT to confirm

Any other business

·         handicap for the class – the PY number is currently 790 the SCHRS 1.171.  GP to review the basic formula for the Unicorn to ensure the Class has the correct handicap for 2017.

·         To develop the Unicorn Class it is important to have established approved components and Suppliers to meet current Class rules –

o    Hulls or kits of parts built to latest drawings

o   Masts and beams

o   Sails.

o   Sail Battens

 

Gp to work with current Suppliers to develop a list for approval by the Committee during 2016/17

 

·         It is sad to report the recent death of Bob Higgins a long term Unicorn sailor and builder of boats.

.

 

There being no further business, the meeting was closed.

2014 AGM Minutes

National Unicorn Class Association 

Minutes of 2014 AGM 

Held at Stone Sailing Club, Thursday 7 August, 1400 hrs 

Present:  P Toft (PT), R Dorks (RD), G Piper (GP), J Mach (JM), D Taylor (DT), S Pooley (SP), A Brooks (AB), Iain Rogers (IR)

 

Apologies for Absence:  None received

 

 

Matters arising from previous AGM: 

DT proposed a vote of thanks to PT, who in his role as website co-ordinator had since the last AGM been continuing to contact by email all those who visit the site to ask if they are interested in becoming association members / acquiring a boat – this was unanimously seconded – all were grateful to Peter for his continuing work in this regard. 

PT said that the site had continued to have a surprising number of ‘hits’ – but there had been many unwanted ones, especially from Russia and Nigeria.  Tony Gibson (TG - site organiser) had been filtering out the obvious ‘scammers’, PT had been sorting out the remainder. 

PT again mentioned (as he had done for the last two years!) that he would like more material and photographs to put onto the site – would those present send in whatever they could. 

This led to a discussion about whether a Facebook site should be used for photos, due to the easier access. 

SP felt that an open forum would be better – and offered to host it.  PT said he knew that TG would not be keen on this as it would lead to so many ‘scamming’ type issues (subsequently confirmed after the meeting).   The use of a ‘universal’ password such as ‘Mazzotti’ was also discussed.  PT said that he knew that TG would not be happy with this either, but would raise it with him.

 The association membership form was discussed. Currently this is in the form of a pdf, which has to be printed out for completion, and then posted or scanned.  It was agreed that PT would ask TG if a Word document could be used instead; this could then be completed and submitted electronically. 

Mention of TG led to a comment that we had not had any web fees for a while – DT to speak to TG.  (As a consequence, TG produced an invoice the next day!). 

IR said he thought that any articles on tuning the boat that could get onto the website would be well received.  There was universal agreement on this.  BD mentioned that he had a box of old magazines including many copies of ‘Catamaran Racing’ that he wanted to get rid of – these contained articles that could be scanned and put on the site. AB indicated he could possibly do this. 

In this connection, PT mentioned that he had plans to update ‘Unicorn Boat Tuning’  on the web site with tuning articles that Dan Jarman had written some years ago.

GP mentioned that a new member, Scott Greengrass (‘SG’), was building a new boat, and had had a complete set of plans to the latest GP shape.  He has been scanning the plans as he proceeded with the build – when this is finished he has said that he will put them onto a disk and a Master copy sent to PT ready to copy and sell to new members who wish to build a new boat.

 As part of this discussion, GP mentioned that it took approx. 200 hours to build a boat, and that the last one he built cost circa £2,500 for materials for the hulls alone.

 PT mentioned that some time ago BD had been looking into the cost of building a glassfibre boat, and it had been approximately £5,000 – this would now be at least £7,500 (a mast and sail would be at least £2,000 alone).

 The mention of masts led GP to comment that there was now a good stock of used masts available, and he again mentioned that the place on Hayling Island had spare Needlespar mast sections (but not the top section nor the track).

 Class Measurer      

GP felt sure that SG would be happy to become measurer when his boat was finished.  Alternatively, PT said that the ‘knowledge and Master Templates’ on measuring was at Stone, between PT and BD. If GP completes his boat and it successfully measures they wil welcome any assistance SG can provide in the future.

  

Events 

Matthew Stephenson (‘MS’) (who now has 4 boats) had taken a keen interest in organising events, and had offered to organise the 2015 Nationals.  He had also expressed interest in pursuing the Travelling Trophy series that Owen Cox (‘OC’) had been trying to put together.  The possibility of the Nationals being a 3 day event was discussed; there would no doubt be further dialogue with MS on this.

 

Class Treasurers Report 

DT said that the Association bank account had continued to in effect ‘mark time’ over the year.   After the £10 refunds had been given to members who compete in the Nationals, the bank account balance would again be in the order of £1,100.  The pattern that had continued was that the subscriptions from the non sailing members (these had been £75 this year) effectively paid for the trophies for the Nationals.  The £5 per head surplus from the members who compete in the Nationals effectively paid for the annual website maintenance.  Therefore with current arrangements / membership levels the association would continue with a bank balance at a similar level to the existing one.  DT would produce an income and expenditure account.

 DT advised that there were currently 18 paid-up members, so almost half the membership had attended the Nationals.

 It was agreed that the arrangement of giving a £10 refund from the £15 annual subscription to those who attend the National meeting would continue.

 It was discussed and agreed that the charges of £5 for copies of ‘Unicorn Technology’, £50 for copies of the plans, and £70 for a ‘stick’ of the build photographs should continue (with regard to the photos, GP confirmed that these were now on a ‘stick’, and could be copied). A Master stick of build photos to be sent to PT for copying and selling on behalf of the association.

 DT advised that TSB was now the official Bank Acct. but the SORT code and Acct. number were the same.

 Some members have complained that no official confirmation was received that their membership payment had been received, especially when cheques have not been processed for several months. DT advised that he had problems cashing cheques due to lack of access to a Lloyds Bank outlets. This should be resolved with the new TSB acct.

 Re-election of officers

The incumbents agreed to stand again, as follows: 

Chairman: GP 

Class Measurer: BD & PT

 Website Co-ordinator:  PT

 Treasurer / Secretary:  DT

 Events Co-Ordinator:   MS

 Any other business

Sails were discussed.  SP, IR and JM had come to the Nationals with sails made by Grant Piggott (GP sails).  PT had again spoken to him about an entry on the website, but he had been unwilling to confirm prices. 

DT had brought a copy of an invoice for £30 he had received from UKCRA for a contribution towards the cost of running their website.  It was not felt that this should be paid, but it was agreed that PT would ask TG about setting up a link from our website to theirs. 

 JM mentioned there had been another recent change to the handicap for the class – the PY number was now 794 again (it was 805 last year, and 794 in 2012).    

 GP confirmed that his current boat has been sold to JM, but that if he wished to sail in future Nationals, he  could borrow one from the MS fleet.

 There being no further business, the meeting was closed.

 

 

 

2015 Unicorn Association AGM

National Unicorn Class Association-

Minutes of 2015 AGM prepared by P Toft

Held at Stone Sailing Club, Tuesday 4th August, 1100 hrs

Present:  P Toft (PT), R Dorks (RD), G Piper (GP), J Mach (JM), D Taylor (DT), S Pooley (SP), Owen Cox (OC )

Apologies for Absence:  David Taylor, Matthew Stevenson, Iain Rogers

 

2014 AGM Minutes Reviewed

1.Official Association web site: revised to allow members to compile and insert articles, completed October 2014

2.Scan and publish historical articles ongoing

3. Open forum agreed to use Facebook due to security issues

4.Annual membership registration form still not being used and receipt of membership fees not being carried out.

.

Election of Committee Members 2015/2016

•Chairman: Gary Piper GP

•Class Measurer: Bob Dorks BD & Peter Toft PT

•Build and Technical Advisor Scott Greengrass SG

•Website Co-ordinator:  Peter Toft PT

•Treasurer / Secretary:  Julius Mach JM

•Events Co-ordinator:   Matthew Stevenson MS

 

Changes

•Scott Greengrass was appointed to the new position of Build and Technical Advisor.

•Due to work commitments David Taylor resigned his position as Treasurer. The Committee convey their thanks to him for holding this position for the last 3 years and maintaining the Association funds in a positive way. Julius Mach JM accepted the position of Treasurer.

 

Web Site Update

•The site had continued to have a surprising number of ‘hits’ over 6000 since its launch or 1000 annually. The five top articles are :

Unicorn Plans - hits 6690

History of the Unicorn - hits 5064

Pictures Gallery - hits 4367

Unicorn Specification – hits 3884

Around the World – hits 3735

•PT again mentioned (as he had done for the last two years!) that he would like more material and photographs to put onto the site as it is viewed by many interested sailors around the world. Where as the Face book OPEN Forum is restricted to members of the group only

•Members are NOT logging onto the web site and therefore cannot access the members only section. It was agreed to contact all 2015 paid members to ensure they register and know how to access the site. PT

Treasurers Report

•Statement of funds from last Bank report shows a positive balance of £985

•Number of paid up members in 2015 is 14.

•It was agreed that the annual fees would remain at £15 but for those attending the Nationals and completing at least one race, a £10 refund would be made.

•To reduce administration there was a discussion to revise the annual renewal time from April 1st to August 1st. No final decision made but JM  to review and advise the Committee for a final decision before end 2015.

•Complaints continue to be received that no receipt for membership payment is issued. JM to ensure this is corrected within a month of receiving payment for full membership only.

•The transfer of Treasurer from DT to JM requires  the official signatures for the account to be revised. JM liaising with DT to complete ASAP..

 

Build & Technical Advisor

Scott Greengrass SG was elected to this new committee position

•Scott is a new member who has completed his first build based on Gary Piper’s successful unique development of hull shape within the existing rules

•From this experience and his access to computer hardware he has prepared new drawings which will update the current Mazzotti drawings. Many thanks to him for completing a long over due task.

•Over the next year it is planned to develop a video on how to build a wood boat from scratch. SG

•Discussion took place regarding the availability of build plans to any interested people. This will encourage new builds and hopefully revive the Unicorn as a self build boat.. As the new plans will be in PDF format the cost is zero to the association. Previous plans were issued as paper drawings at a cost and involved packaging and postage. It was agreed that the new plans, when available, would be sent to any interested person FOC, but when a boat is built and registration is made this will involve a fee to be decided, but it must cover any administration cost etc. TBD by majority vote of Committee members GP

Events Coordinator - Mattthew Stephenson (‘MS’) 

•In 2015 a Travellers Trophy was organised for four events but due to health problems Matthew was unable to attend and in the end Rutland was the only event to date attended by any Unicorns. This is very disappointing but it is understood that he will attempt to organise another TT programme and a Nationals event in 2016. MS to organise.•

Any other business

•There has been another recent change to the handicap for the class – the PY number is now 790 the SCHRS 1.171 •

There being no further business, the meeting was closed.

 

General Items
Text Size